Saturday, December 15, 2012

What Kept Me Up Last Night

Like so many others I have been troubled by the events that unfolded yesterday in the Classrooms at Sandy Hook Elementary. Like all parents I held my children tight and thanked God that they were safe. I cried many tears yesterday. My thoughts kept running to those poor babies. Terrified. I kept thinking about my son, who is in Kindergarten at a school 25 miles away from Newtown. I continued thinking about my former Kindergarten and First grade students and how I would have done anything to protect them. My thoughts led me to their parents who I considered friends and how heartbroken they each would be. I was nauseous. When my husband came home we stood in a very long embrace. Wordlessly thanking that it wasn't our sons school. I feel so selfish. I feel pain and anguish for the families. My imagination won't even let me get near the greif, terror, hurt, pain that they are feeling. Sandy Hook has taught me (as so many things do) that every day is a gift that we can't take for granted. Our children are a gift that we should cherish. In the days and weeks to come there will be many more things to take away and discussions to have but today I will continue to hug my children. I may even climb into bed with my son again tonight and secretly whisper to him my love while he dreams of more beautiful things.

I'll end with a prayer;

May the healing love of faith, family and friends wrap tight around you. In your time of loss and sadness may you be comforted. I pray for healing and peace in your heart and mind. May the light of God fill you when you are empty, comfort you when you are sad, and lift you up when you can't stand on your own. Blessings and Peace be with you always.


No comments:

Post a Comment